The Democratic Foundation Chino - Organic Espresso
Originally issued to American soldiers during WWII, the first military chinos were celebrated for their comfort, versatility, and impressive ruggedness. They proved so popular, in fact, that soldiers held onto their well-worn pairs even after discharge, and as more and more civilians took notice, the style became a fixture of garages and workshops as well as college campuses and city streets all across the country. Featuring 100% Responsible materials and an updated silhouette, The Foundation Pant is both a reinvention of our earlier chinos and an elevated reimagining of the all-purpose originals, built to help you start your day on solid ground.
The Foundation Pant project started when we discovered some deadstock military chino material and decided to reverse engineer it with 100% organic cotton. We chose a balanced weight (8.5-oz.) that feels great all year round, and opted for a tight weave using mercerized yarns, giving The Foundation Pant a smooth hand feel and improved durability. Because it’s been garment dyed and washed, it has the character of a well-loved vintage piece, and it’ll continue to pick up a ton of nuance with wear. Cool herringbone accents at the waistband and the pockets serve as a nod to the style’s military origins.
- 8-oz. 100% organic cotton.
- 5-oz. 100% organic cotton herringbone pocketing.
- Garment dyed and washed for a vintage feel.
- A tailored yet democratic fit.
- Medium rise with shape to keep the back waistband against your skin and some extra space to accommodate the boys.
- Front slash pockets allow easy entry into pockets.
- Low-profile welt coin pocket inset at waistband.
- Two back welt pockets.
- 4-hole vintage military style button at waistband.
- YKK zipper fly.
- Bound fly and outseam.
- 34" inseam.
- Wash cold and tumble dry low.
- Made in China.